We are committed to implementing responsible measures to protect the environment against hazards associated with road construction, operation and maintenance. We recognise that environmental interests must be integrated with cost-effective delivery and operation to meet the needs of the public.
Therefore we will:
- Comply with all South African environmental laws and regulations, policies, initiatives and requirements;
- Ensure that contractors establish a sustainable environmental management system to manage environmental challenges and manage and prevent pollution on Bakwena projects;
- Implement an Operations and Maintenance Environmental Management Plan and regularly update it to ensure all new and relevant issues are included;
- Foster constructive working relationships with the authorities, the South African National Roads Agency and all interested and affected parties;
- Ensure that all construction areas and borrow pits are rehabilitated;
- Ensure that all staff and contractors are appropriately trained to consider the environmental impact of their work.